Friday, August 15, 2008

Sigh! The frustration...

Have you ever felt like you were totally on the verge of something amazing and then nothing happened? That's pretty much exactly how I'm feeling right now. In a previous post, I mentioned a melody on the piano that I've been messing around with for quite some time now. Well, I sat down for an hour tonight and messed around with it. I changed the key and started humming the melody and singing stupid words like "I have no idea where this is going... I'm sick of playing this over and over" stuff like that. Suddenly things just clicked in my head and lyrics flowed out onto the paper. Just a chorus but that's better than nothing right? I wrote the verses after another half an hour of mulling it over in my head. I came to the computer to transfer the chicken scratch that is my handwriting when I'm songwriting into something more legible. Well, to make a long story short, in the process of, what I considered, making the finished product better than the original, the fourteen lines of text I had written over the course of the last hour were slowly whittled down to two. That's right, I ditched all but two lines of the chorus. What I want to know is HOW IN THE WORLD DO PEOPLE DO THIS FOR A LIVING??!! and why in the world did was that my dream as a child? On the bright side of things (because we know that I'm a glass-half-full kinda girl), I do have a pretty outstanding couplet. I do believe it's time I find an adequate muse, because whatever's on my brain right now simply won't suffice any longer.

No comments: