Sunday, November 10, 2013

Because I don't want to study...

I have a Pathophysiology test on Tuesday. I have two more chapters and a study guide to go through, but I'm just not up for it right now. My professor is a doctor, and seems to be very knowledgeable on the subjects he teaches, but he's also one of those "if it has a face or a mother, don't eat it" type of people. Not that there's anything wrong with vegetarianism, but he's a stereotypical vegetarian, and I'm over it. Ya know, just the typical, "vaccines don't really prevent the disease, they just lessen the effects" and our food is "contaminated" with antibiotics garbage. Vomit. The class is mostly just review. I suppose that's a good thing, and a credit to my Anatomy and Physiology instructors at SLCC, but I'm at the point now where I'm just trying to push through these last few weeks.

Wow, that was a little whiny... Moving on.

One of the prompts from Striped Giraffe Stories that I missed before was "Write about a test or exam that you had to take that was critical and life changing." I realized I never really wrote about the Kaplan. Every nursing program seems to have a different entrance exam so I think most people end up taking a few. I took the HESI and the Kaplan. The HESI was pretty easy I thought. I got a 91%. Unfortunately the rest of my grades weren't what they should've been, so I needed to take the Kaplan for Dixie's program. I needed at least a 75% to apply and the range of students who had been accepted the semester before was 75-91%. I was out of my mind nervous about it (Ask Ian. I was a friggin' basket case). I usually don't have test anxiety, but I definitely did on this one. I even had a dream the night before that I got a 74%, just one point too low. But I shook it off and took the test anyway. I felt so relieved with an 85% when it was all over.

The problem I think I discovered during that test is the reading. It's so much harder to read and try to absorb information from a computer screen rather than something in print. I felt myself having a hard time concentrating. But I must've done better than I thought at the time, because the score got me in. And now I never have to worry about entrance exams again. Yay!

No comments: