Monday, January 12, 2009

Lessons learned from President Hinckley


I can't believe it's been almost a year since our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. I'll always remember the day because it was the same day I totalled my first car three years earlier: January 27. Our family watched a movie about his life and those who influenced him tonight. It was called Gordon B. Hinckley: A Giant Among Men. He told a story that I'm sure most of you are familiar with, but still emphasizes a great point. He worked for the railroad for a number of years before he was called as an apostle and one day he received a call from a station in Newark, New Jersey. It seemed that a train had arrived in NJ from Denver where he was without its baggage car. After many hours of searching, they finally found it in New Orleans, LA. A careless switchman had moved the tracks a mere three inches and the baggage car was 6,000 miles away from its destination. It made me realize the importance of the little decisions as well as the big ones. One small mistake can lead to drastic consequences down the road.

No comments: