Monday, June 6, 2011

Time to write

I started English 2010 today. It is a BEAST! 7 writing projects, and 5 chapters to read, and that's just what's due by Wednesday. I know, right? Anyway, the point of that was that I may or may not have as much time to blog as I would like over the next little while, so this might be the last you hear from me for a few weeks. I know, all three of you are sad... Probably not, but maybe. I've had a pretty good week. I got a 90% on my history test (my history major sister would be proud!), and got a sunburn and subsequent tan line at the beach for memorial day.

The guys have a certain number of sales they have to make every week before the company buys dinner for everyone, and they made it this week, so Ian and I got to have dinner at Texas Roadhouse on Saturday. YUM!

And last night we had dinner with Ian's boss and his wife, which is one of my good friends here. It was so fun, and a nice change for a Sunday.

So, ya know when someone changes their relationship status to "Engaged" on Facebook, the first thing everyone says is "Congratulations! You'll love married life, it's the best!" They say it, because it's so true. Ian and I were in the kitchen this morning, sharing half a tube of cookie dough (it was going to go bad...) and drinking milk out of a bowl because we had no clean glasses, when this thought occurred to me. It's simple moments like that, that just make me love being married. Yeah, it's fun to be out on our own taking care of ourselves, and having adventures, but what it really boils down to is that I have my best friend in the whole world to eat cookie dough with forever.

All too often what seems to keep people from taking the plunge is the fact that they think haven't experienced or progressed enough as a single person to think about getting married. What I've realized over the last year though, is that married people who are willing to stick it out together are two halves of a whole that is unstoppable. There's a reason The Lord says in Genesis: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."  


Ian and I have fallen into typical husband and wife roles a lot more since we've been here. I noticed it before, but I see now how true this is. We each bring specific things to our relationship that make both of us stronger and better than either could be on our own. It occurred to me that the reason exaltation is only achievable after a person is sealed in the temple probably has something to do with this. When you marry the right person, under the right authority, at the right time, and apply the lesson in seminary where the teacher draws a triangle that says "Husband, Wife, God" at each point, you reach your full potential much more easily. You become God-like... Just a thought.

No comments: