Monday, March 21, 2011

AAP

The american academy of pediatrics announced today that their new guideline for car seats is that children should be in rear-facing car seats until age 2, and in a booster seat until age 8, or until they're 4' 9" tall. Not even lying... Go here if you don't believe me. Don't get me wrong, I understand that the AAP's only intentions are to keep kids safe and healthy, and I advise most of their guidelines to the patients I work with every day, but seriously, doesn't this look a little bit ridiculous?

(Thanks to aimee4frogs' on flickr for this pic that so perfectly illustrates my point)
Also, a booster seat until your kid is 8, or 4' 9'' (whichever comes first)? I have married friends who would still be in a booster seat by that guideline. And don't you think it would be slightly embarrassing for you to pull up to a friend's birthday party in your mom's minivan and then have to unbuckle your car seat in front of all your friends? I mean, really... c'mon.
For all you worried moms out there, in the words of one of the pediatricians I work for, "On the record, we follow the standards of the AAP, off the record, as long as the car seat fits them and doesn't constrict their neck in any way, it is okay to face forward." I'd double check with your own doctor before doing anything, but I just thought I'd comment on this strange new guideline. I have to wonder if anyone in the American Academy of Pediatrics actually has children...

1 comment:

Kindell your cousin :) said...

Thanks for this! I agree. I recently watched this TED talk about car seats:

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_on_child_carseats.html

He did real experiments showing that regular seatbelts work better than car seats for older children. He also makes a very good point about all the money and influence in the car seat business.