Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot!

And, just like that, May is gone. Crazy, isn't it?

Life is busy, but oh so good. Ian's working hard and bringing home the bacon at AllConnect, and I'm working part-time. It's kind of nice to have nothing to do but catch up on Criminal Minds and read books that have nothing to do with Nursing. I'll be ready for the fall when it comes though, I'm sure.

We're lucky to be able to spend a decent amount of time with each other lately. We even managed to escape to Vegas last weekend. Ian found an Argentine restaurant that he was excited to try, and it was delicious! He said it was just like what he used to eat. We stayed at The Golden Nugget, which was surprisingly really nice, and since we had never done downtown, "old Vegas" before, we spent the evening taking in the sights and kitschy-ness of Fremont Street. We have a tradition of playing this stupid penny slot machine called "Planet Moolah" whenever we see it, too. It used to be really fun because we would win when we played, but it hasn't been so kind lately. Oh well. What can you really expect playing penny slots?

Ian wore my sunglasses while we were driving because we had to buy him a new pair
and it took me a while to get the tag off. He's so hipster.

The hotel comped us a goody basket. 

Argentines are not like other South Americans. They eat a lot of red meat.
Typically, they cook a lot of different cuts of meat and cut them in to
small pieces so everyone can have a little bit of everything. 

He went straight up Ron Swanson on the place.

I had Milanesas. It was delicious! You can kind of see the chimichurri in the corner which was SO good!

Fremont street right outside our hotel.

Projections on to the ceiling.

From the outside looking in. On the right was The Heart Attack Grill,
where people have literally had heart attacks eating.

I've been reading The Matt Walsh Blog a lot lately. I don't agree with everything he posts, but it's refreshing to read words from someone who shares similar values and writes about something other than what celebrities are tweeting about. His post on Friday was about marriage and how devastating it is that people don't take it seriously anymore. One part really resonated with me:

"Life is change. People are change. I’m seeing this play out all around me. As I get older I drift further apart from some of the people I used to consider my closest confidants. But I let myself drift, and so do they, because circumstances also change, and what I’m realizing is that so many of my relationships were only ever circumstantial.


"My relationship with my wife, however, transcends the circumstance. If we feel ourselves drift, we reach out our hands and grasp tightly, because I choose to remain at her side, and she at mine. And if I ever look over to find that we’ve somehow lost sight of each other — both now walking alone and lost in that cold night — I will grab a torch and search for her until I find her again. She is my mission, my life’s work, and I’d sooner give up my life than give up on her."

It's sad that we live in a world where this opinion is the vast minority, that "cohabitation" is the norm, and usually leads to broken hearts and families. I'm glad to be part of that minority.

No comments: