Saturday, July 23, 2011

You know you're 2 miles from the US-Mexico border when...

I am in a whole different world down here. It's hard to even feel like I'm in the United States sometimes. Our beach view apartment and mostly-white community has been replaced by bug hunting and experiencing what it's like to be a minority. I gotta admit, it's pretty freakin weird. I wish I could say I've been able to take it all in stride, but to be honest, I haven't been the happiest of campers lately. Most days I'm just ready to be home. But there is a silver lining to every cloud, and I'm a believer in finding humor in any situation. So, here are some common sights that let me know just how far I am from home.

You know you're in the Rio Grande Valley when...
...Signs don't even bother with an English translation
...The plastic M decal gets stolen off the front of your car. (PS it just figures that would happen when we're about to pay it off... There must be some kind of curse)
...People's tires are worth more than their cars
...You play "spot the gringo" and lose
...You walk by a house that has a Mercedes in the driveway, but the grass is 2 feet long.
...A pink house with a blowup pool in the driveway is just another every day thing.
...Your husband comes home with a story about a house with no house number, but spray painted above the carport is "PO BOX 33." (I'll bet they're wondering where all their mail is, and why it isn't coming to their house.)
...The workers at fast food restaurants have to guess whether you speak English or Spanish before you talk to them.
...There are more Spanish radio stations that English ones.
...You drive by a restaurant called "Burguesa Burger".
...You almost get hit at least 5 times on your way to the grocery store because most of the people on the road don't have very much experience driving in the US.
...Opening the door usually means a giant bug is going to find its way inside. Which leads to:
...You ALWAYS have the Raid handy.
...You go from getting 30 MPG to 22 MPG because the AC is on full blast wherever you go.
...You mention to your relief society president that the weather is much hotter than you're used to and she says that you haven't seen anything yet.
...El Caminos as far as the eye can see.

I have pictures of a lot of these things, but the computer is being weird and won't let me upload them. So, I suppose if you have nothing but complaints about Utah, just remember that you could be living in Mission, TX. I'm just grateful to my awesome husband and the friends I've made here for helping me get through it.

No comments: