Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Only Constant in Life is Change

No...

I'm not pregnant.

I found out last Friday that I didn't get accepted into the nursing program at SLCC. I knew it was a long shot, so I wasn't really surprised by the rejection letter. 

A few months ago, Ian and I spent a weekend in St. George. As part of the trip, I met with Alice Clegg, the nursing advisor at Dixie State. I've met with a fair share of nursing advisors in the course of my education, but Alice was the only one that made me feel like I had an advocate in this process. She had a 3x5 card with the range of scores of the people who had just been accepted, and she looked at my transcript and showed me exactly what I need to do to get accepted. She even took the time to show me what the nursing program schedule looks like. I left her office feeling that, not only was this possible, I was going to do it!

So, it is with excitement and a whole lot of nerves that I announce that we're officially going to be Southern Utah people. 

It hasn't been an easy decision for me. I've gone back and forth about it in my head over and over and over (and over). I absolutely love my job. My coworkers are like family to me and the kids I interact with brighten my day. I feel important and satisfied in my job, and I have "What in the world are we doing" moments all day long at work.

The ultimate decision-maker, however, is that we both really feel like this is where we're meant to be. There are a lot of reasons for this too. The biggest one is that sunshine makes me a different person. The weeks of inversion in the winter turn me into a not nice person to be around. We're in a good position in life right now where we have the ability to relocate relatively easily, so really why the heck not? I do find it funny, too, that I'm finishing my education (well, for the time being. Are you ever really finished?) right back where I started it. 

I'm truly am excited about the new adventure we're about to embark on. There's always some anxiety associated with a big change, but it's time. I'm in the process of applying for the nursing program at Dixie, and, after retaking some classes this summer, I feel like I have a good shot at getting in. So, we'll see.

So...that's that. Wish me luck!









No comments: