Monday, April 23, 2012

The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints

I'm getting really tired of the "Mormons aren't Christians" hooplah that is becoming prevalent again in the media with Mitt Romney's campaign. I know that this falsehood is as old as the church itself, but to me it just signifies ignorance on every level. After this article was published in the Salt Lake Tribune, I have a new appreciation for the fact that whatever you say online is fair game, and is most likely read by people you don't even know. So here goes:

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe in the reality of Jesus Christ as the literal Son of God and accept him as my personal savior. I know that through him every person who has ever lived has the opportunity to earn the right to live in his presence, as we once did.


I believe that Jesus lived personally on the earth. He lived a perfect life, performing many miracles and touching the lives of thousands. He was more than a great prophet. He was and is the literal son of God. He established His Church upon the earth during his ministry. My family and I are members of that same church today, as restored by the prophet, Joseph Smith. He suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross, gave his life for each one of us, and ultimately was resurrected. Death does not prevail because of the Savior's sacrifice.

The first Article of Faith, written by Joseph Smith in 1842 states:
"We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."

So, to anyone with the belief that Mormons aren't Christians: You are wrong! I urge you to do more research before you spread lies such as this one. Go to lds.org or mormon.org and see how each homepage is filled with pictures and testimonies of Christ. Click on a link or two and read  the testimonies of Christ of our leaders and members. We know of his divinity.

We are Christians.


No comments: